Hello everyone and welcome to our February newsletter. Much is happening in the way of the Gateway Science Tour. While it may seem that little has progressed toward our goal, nothing could be farther from the truth. While the really big news will have to wait a little while longer, the Gateway Science Center is on it’s way to nonprofit status. This is long overdue but will greatly speed up our progress.
Many of you have marveled at the display cases featured at my show. That’s nuthin. Yesterday, I was gifted with 6 new display cases from world-renowned collector Dan Capps. They are absolutely STUNNING!
TALES FROM THE BUG WHISPERER VIDEO SERIES
Last summer I began filming a new series for YouTube. To those of you who have never filmed anything outdoors in Wisconsin this may not seem like that big of a deal. I want you to think about our weather, clouds, wind and sun. No two days are the same and getting video from one day to match the next is a pain. BUT I did manage to get some things done. Then it sat on my computer for 6 months. Well the good news is that I have finally started all the editing and it is coming together very nicely.
My favorite piece I’m working on is on Dung beetles. One of my very good friends took me to an exotic animal sanctuary and said, “You want dung? I’ll show you dung.” It was probably the most fun I’ve ever had filming and made lots of new animal friends. They weren’t always cooperative but still a very good day of filming.
Gateway Science Center Project
As many of you know, the whole reason the Creepy Crawly Zoo is on tour again is because of the Gateway Science Center. Many of you have asked how you can help to make this place a reality. While monetary donations are always appreciated, the following is a list of things you can do. Most of these suggestions do not require much effort on your part, but they are of enormous help to me and the Gateway Science Center mission.
- · Tell a friend, teacher or librarian about the Gateway Science Center, our live show, T-shirt store, Discovery World shows and YouTube channel! If you tell two friends and they tell two friends and so on and so on – well, you get the idea. You can tell someone in conversation or spread the word on social media. When posting about it please include a few words of endorsement. That makes a big difference.
Over the last two decades with the live show, 95% of my business has always been word of mouth. You, the people, have always been the reason this show endured.
- · Subscribe to our Youtube channel. This year we will be releasing new episodes in TALES FROM THE BUG WHISPERER. Episode 1, Who Wants to be an Entomologist?, was released in 2007 as a DVD. It went on to receive 5 international film festival awards. You and your kids can now watch it for free on YouTube.
Our goal is to reach 1000 subscribers.
- · Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter
- · Write a blog. If you or anyone you know has some creative writing skills, a blog about the Gateway Science Center project would be of enormous value. So valuable that we have offered our customers a $75 discount off a live show for this.
- · Become a sponsor. If you have a business and would like to become a sponsor, please message me and I will send you information about what I can do for you. While the Creepy Crawly Zoo is currently not a non-profit organization most of our clients are. You can make a donation to a school or schools for our visit. This helps out schools and you or your donation is tax-deductible.
If you have any other suggestions I am always willing to listen.